1 status established in order of importance or urgency; "...its precedence as the world's leading manufacturer of pharmaceuticals"; "national independence takes priority over class struggle" [syn: precedence, precedency]
2 preceding in time [syn: antecedence, antecedency, anteriority, precedence, precedency] [ant: posteriority]
- a UK /ˈpɹaɪɒɹɪti/ /"praIQrIti:/
The quality or state of being prior or antecedent in time, or of preceding something else
Precedence; superior rank
Usage notesNote that most other dictionaries list this only as a noun; some people will correct you if you use it as an adjective.
- An item's relative importance.
- He set his e-mail message's priority to high.
- A person's personal goals.
- She needs to get her priorities straight and stop playing games.
A person's personal goals
Priority may refer to:
- Priority date, a concept of establishing waiting times in the immigration process by United States Department of State
- Priority level, the priority of emergency communications
- Priority Records, a record label started in 1985 and acquired by Capitol Records
- Priority right, a time-limited right, triggered by the first filing of an application for a patent
- Priority signs, a traffic sign that specifies which route has the right of way
- Scientific priority, the priority of scientific ideas
- Subordination (finance), the order of priorities in claims for ownership or interest in various assets
- Principle of Priority, the principle that the oldest available name for a taxon is the valid one
priority in French: Priorité
priority in Norwegian: Prioritet
priority in Russian: Приоритет
accent, accomplishment, antecedence, antecedency, anteposition, anteriority, arrangement, ascendancy, authority, bold front, brave face, brave front, concern, concernment, consequence, consequentiality, consideration, deanship, display, dominion, eminence, emphasis, excellence, facade, face, facet, facia, favor, fore, forefront, foregoing, foreground, forehand, foreland, forepart, forequarter, foreside, foreword, front, front elevation, front man, front matter, front page, front position, front view, frontage, frontal, frontier, frontispiece, greatness, head, heading, high order, high rank, immediacy, import, importance, incomparability, influence, influentialness, inimitability, interest, lap, le pas, lead, leading, majority, mark, materiality, merit, moment, note, obverse, one-upmanship, order, ordering, paramountcy, precedence, precedency, preceding, precession, precursor, predominance, predomination, preeminence, preface, preference, prefix, prefixation, prelude, preponderance, prepotence, prepotency, prerogative, pressure, prestige, primacy, privilege, prominence, proscenium, prothesis, rank, right, right-of-way, self-importance, seniority, significance, skill, stature, stress, success, superiority, supremacy, the lead, top priority, transcendence, transcendency, urgency, value, van, virtuosity, weight, weightiness, window dressing, worth